Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Artist Behind The Etsy ~ Hymns and Verses

button_edited-1

Being a part of the Etsy community, not only as a seller but as a customer, I have come across many talented individuals.  With this series, I hope to introduce you to some of these creative people, finding out where they find their inspiration, and a little bit more about them.

This week I’d like to welcome Doreen from Hymns and Verses!  Doreen makes such beautiful and inspirational home décor items, whether framed, used for tags, or as pillow covers.  She also has a blog of the same name, where she shares her beautiful home and the projects she does to make it that way.

Hi, my name is Doreen and my Etsy shop is Hymns and Verses.

I opened up shop on Etsy in March of 2012 after losing my job to advancing technology.  I was a medical transcriptionist for 16 years, most of that time working from home.  It was such a blessing to be able to work from home when my boys were young.  But, after such a long absence from the traditional workforce and most of my resume consisting of a job that had been phased out of the market, I had to find some way to make an income. 
"Unending Love, Amazing Grace" Set of 2 Pillow Covers
It was during that time that I also discovered the blog world.  The first blog that I began to read was the inspirational, Miss Mustard Seed.  At that time, Marian was also still selling a few items on Etsy.  I felt a connection to her and what she was doing and thought, "that's what I want to do"!   
"His Eye is on the Sparrow" Hymn Print
I have always enjoyed decorating my home with found treasures and things I make or repurpose.  I had even thought of selling things at craft shows or markets in the past, but I never pursued it.   My best friend really encouraged me to take a step of faith and open the online shop on Etsy - and I'm so glad she did!  The next step for me was to decide what I wanted to sell.  I wanted my product to be unique - something that wasn't being done over and over again. 
"Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart" Burlap Pillow Cover
I originally thought of scripture art, but I found there were already many talented artists that were doing this very well.  That's when I came up with the idea of creating items for the home that were based on lyrics from old hymns, songs from my childhood and today, verses from a memorized poem or a well remembered quote from the big screen or the pages of a book. 
I recently came across this quote and it pretty much sums up the name: Hymns and Verses - "Listening to a song and remembering all the memories that go with it".  I want people to see something I create and have that feeling.
"Come Sail Away" Nautical Pillow Cover Set
Initially I started my blog, also Hymns and Verses,  as a way to promote my Etsy shop. After a while, I began to really enjoy the blog as a way of sharing a more personal side of me and the things I do to make our house a home.  It's a place where I can talk to friends and show them the latest project I'm working on! 
"Be Thou My Vision" Eye Chart 
I'd love for you to stop by my blog - Hymns and Verses for a visit this summer day!  Take a look around and stay awhile - I'll have the fresh lemonade ready and waiting! 
Thank you, Kathy, for having me today and for this wonderful series!  It's been so much fun being here!

Thank you, Doreen, for sharing how you started your Etsy shop!  I think it is a very inspiring story.  You can visit Doreen’s Etsy shop here and her blog here.

12 comments:

Denise said...

A lot of Us bloggers have a secret desire to start an Estey shop.So I'm thinking this should be a very popular post.I know I sure enjoyed reading it-Thank You-Denise

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Doreen is hugely talented! She has a warm and beautiful home and a visit to her blog is always a delight. And I just love her story too!

Unknown said...

Wow, these pillows are beautiful and so meaningful. You have beautiful shop-Thank you for introducing Doreen to us Kathy!

Okio B Designs said...

Gorgeous pillows! I am off to check out her Etsy!

Jeanine

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I have always admired Doreen's blog and Etsy shop! She has so many fabulous items in her shop. I also love her style!

Junkchiccottage said...

Kathy,
Doreen is a great choice to feature. Love her pillows they are so pretty. I am hoping over to her Etsy blog now.
Kris

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, what a great feature of Doreen. I loved her story,seeing her creations and her amazing talent.
Going to visit her etsy shop and blog.
Thanks for sharing.
XO

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh Doreen does beautiful work! I love the pillows with the old blue ticking fabric and the saying in the middle! Kathy, you asked about the lace lamp shade...Really an easy project and a good seller here is the link to the tutorial post http://thepolkadotcloset.blogspot.com/2014/05/how-to-cover-lamp-shade-with-lace.html

Carol

Little Miss Maggie said...

Fabulous pillows and very different from most of what's out there.

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Another 'doreen' here chiming in to say I love etsy and Doreen has some lovely items!

Her pillows are so pretty!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What beautiful items featured here today!...Doreen is very talented!...

farmhouse-story said...

doreen's work is so pretty! love the pillows esp!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...